HIPAA Privacy and Security
Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act compliance, and HIPAA training, is essential in healthcare, where individuals share details of their health, personal lives, and finances when they are at their most vulnerable. Our HIPAA training courses explain the basic principles of the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA).
Geography Covered: America | Duration: 45 minutes
The Health Information Technology for Economic and Clinical Health (HITECH) Act, enacted as part of the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009, amended HIPAA to require "covered entities" — healthcare providers, health insurance plans, healthcare clearinghouses, and "business associates" who contract with these entities — to create and implement information-security policies covering protected health information that is electronically transmitted or maintained. In 2013, the HIPAA-HITECH Omnibus Rule brought strengthened patient privacy protections and made other important changes to HIPAA regulations. The work needed to comply with HIPAA laws and regulations presents a tremendous challenge for all organizations that handle healthcare information, making proper HIPAA training even more crucial.
The topics covered in the courses include:
- Primary purpose of HIPAA
- Types of information that are subject to HIPAA
- How HIPAA applies to covered entities and business associates
- Case study: Advanced Care Hospitalists
- HIPAA Privacy Rule
- Permitted disclosures
- Notice of privacy practices
- PHI and marketing
- Case study: A business associate fined for using inappropriate safeguards
- The primary goals of the HIPAA Security Rule
- Administrative safeguards
- Physical safeguards
- Case study: Lifespan Health System
- The cost of non-compliance with HIPAA
- PHI rights for individuals
- HIPAA enforcement
- Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA): Business Associates
- Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA): Covered Entities
Like with all our courses, the HIPAA training courses are written by experts and powered by world-leading regulatory intelligence, which tracks more than 900 regulators and exchanges globally to ensure the course content is always up to date.
All our training courses are driven by practical examples and interactive scenarios to ensure users truly understand and recognize the issues of most importance to your business and learn to instinctively act to support them.
We employ instructional design techniques optimized for risk and compliance training, enabling your business to educate in a way that reduces risk and helps you build a culture of integrity and compliance.