training and support
Learn how to leverage Westlaw Classic so that you can research more efficiently, feel confident in your results, and better serve your clients.
5 Tips in 25 Minutes
Are you shifting to an unfamiliar practice area? Quickly get-up-to-speed with this free training webinar series.
Westlaw Classic training resources
Case law research
Tools for the transactional attorney
- Using treatises and practice guides
- Find and use forms
- Search corporate filings and agreements
- Business Law Center resources
- Conduct research on private and public companies
- Find and search practice area pages
- Create customized corporate filing and agreement searches
- Compare the text of documents in Business Law Center
- Conduct a public records search on a person
- Conduct a business records search
- Research public and private companies
- Quick tips for public records
- Run a PeopleMap report
- Customize your PeopleMap or Company Investigator reports
- Find subsidiaries divisions and branches of corporations
- Search individual public records
- Search social media and web presence of a person
- Understanding public records resources
Westlaw frequently asked questions
You will receive a registration key via email that can be used to activate your account. From the email, click the Activate Now link and follow the subsequent steps. If you need additional help, check out the “How to create my username and password” user guide.
OnePass is an online account that allows you to log in to multiple Thomson Reuters® products with one username and password. Once you have created your OnePass account, you can register any products to which you subscribe, including Westlaw™.
A Client ID is required to sign on to Westlaw and is used to identify your Westlaw sessions. You may find it useful to enter a Client ID that relates to your research.
You can change the Client ID anytime during a research session. Click the current client ID at the top of any page, then type a new client ID or select a recently used one from the options displayed in the drop down. Then click Change.
To access a comprehensive list of content included in your organization's Westlaw subscription, select My Content under the Profile icon in the top right corner of the Westlaw homepage. Or, contact customer service at 1-800-328-4880, open from 7 a.m. – 7 p.m. (CT).
Contact your Westlaw representative or client manager, or contact customer service at 1-800-328-4880.
Use the My Account portal to review West Account balances and invoices, make payments, check order status, and request a reshipment or return. You can also manage users' access to Westlaw, Business Law Solutions, Thomson Reuters CLEAR, Practical Law and more.
If there is additional content you are interested in adding to your Westlaw plan, contact your sales rep or client manager.
Yes. With the newest iOS release on the Westlaw app, you can extend the power and collaboration capabilities of Thomson Reuters Westlaw so that research begun in one place can be continued on your mobile device – anytime, anywhere.
Supported operating systems
- Windows 8.1, and Windows 10
- Mac® OS 10.15 or later
- Chrome current version
- Safari current version
- Mozilla Firefox current version or Extended Support Release version
- Microsoft Edge current version
- iPhone (iOS 15.4 or later, iPhone 6s or later)
- iPad (iOS 15.4 or later, iPad 5th generation or later)
- Android (10 or higher, devices maintaining Android version 10 or higher)
- 1024x768 or higher screen resolution recommended
- Adobe Acrobat Reader® 9.0 or later (some print functionality is lost with older versions)